Friday, November 23, 2007

My Books for You

Takder, my son, as early as this time, I am going to introduce you to my books. All of them are yours already. Please find time to read most of them. I hope you find quiet fulfillment, enjoyment, practical guidance, stir curiosity in you and a wider, deeper understanding in these written wealth as much as I have. Your mother will tell you how much I love them. I can only hope you regard them as much- if not more- than I do.

Somebody instructed quite politely that “you read all the best books first for you will not have time to read them all.”

I cannot disregard the presence of the Bible and other spiritual books. They were the first ones I read completely and it would not be unfair to tell you that I have amassed many a life lessons from them. Now, as you will eventually know that I have become “non-religious”, understand that this does not affect my belief that religious books will benefit you also.

If you already have the faculties for it- commence reading seriously the Peter Singer as early as you can. It is not that he is controversial as much as his discourses on ethics and “pain” that drew my thoughts to “kindness-goodness.” Whatever quenches your curiosity I am sure there is a published book on it. You can read about a topic piece-meal (like with P. Singer) or be transported into a fictional dimension as Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Milan Kundera.

On Science and the physical world, I am blessed to have seen Carl Sagan on TV as a young boy. Read him early too before your generation venerate Stephen Hawking. You know I have read so many C. S. books; found more enjoyment and have benefited with more information from him than in all of my classroom studies. However, I guess you will surpass the common language of C.S. only to be drawn devouring S.H. someday.

I have this feeling that your generation will not have as great scientists/humans living in the same generation as these 2 have. Will your generation have a substitute for them? Will your generation have (a) science spokesperson(s) too?

To be continued…

No comments: