Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Orange Dragonfly Kite

If I write memories of you, you will have something to read when you get bored when you grow older. When you have reached my age, I think it would be “cool” to read something from your father.

Now take a look at this picture. Your mother, you and I treated ourselves to this paradise called Bohol Island in the summer of 2007. We went to a lot of places. For this particular picture, we were in front of the Bohol Beach Club early in the morning. Why early morning- you might ask. Your mother has asked that we avoid the damaging ultraviolet rays of the sun “that attacks after 10 A.M.” hence, we enjoy before that deadline.

This orange dragonfly kite you are pulling is a cheap (commercial-mass-produced-Made in China) replacement for the beautiful kite I made for you.

I fashioned for you the small kite of the century. It was a Gurion-style flying contraption and is only made of combinations of select raw materials and modern, high-grade, high density paper with prints that say: Inquirer Obituary. The intricately criss-crossing frames are bamboo strips indigenous to the Camotes Islands of Cebu and are soaked in sea water both for strength and pliability. And the design- the design is two different sizes of elliptical outline for aerodynamics. Your mother had doubts that the kite I made for you would fly because it looked funny. I told here that the funny look only adds to its character. (You will discover that your Nanay is the president of the Anti-Tatay’s Project International).

Anyway, for its maiden flight, the small kite of the century flew in a conspicuous location, while I was standing in a ramp atop a tall coral formation and nobody was watching. It was basking in the calm breeze when out of the blue a monster of a strong wind blew and sent our kite to the side of the sharp coral walls. Ah No! The kite of the century did not die immediately but rather it gave a fight longer than I could withstand. In fact, by the time we left Camotes Island, it was still clinging to the sides of the big rock hoping against odds that it will have the chance to fly again- alone this time, without its maker’s company.

Nevertheless, I did not want this catastrophe to hinder our fun together with a kite, so I convinced your mother to help me purchase a kite for you. Consequently, the three of us went to a glorified-department store they locally call a mall, purchased this orange dragonfly kite for you, which you did not like in the first place. But you had so much fun when you discovered (and also to my astonishment) that this cheap replacement kite can actually fly.

Yes Takder, we had amusement together with this orange kite. We waited for a good breeze, I lifted it, you pulled, and then you ran. You were beautiful my son. I hope to keep this image in my mind forever.

Never mind the small kite of the century, I can always teach you to make kites.

No comments: